Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer - Character Creation and Game Quirks
This is one of a series of walkthroughs/hints for Neverwinter Nights 2 (Mask of the Betrayer). Click here for a listing of all our guides for Neverwinter Nights 2 and Expansions.
You should first read general information in our Character Creation notes for the Original Campaign as much of the information applies.
- If you imported your character from the Original Campaign, you start with no helmet, no weapons, no inventory.
- If you start with nothing equipped in the other slots, empty slots get a prefab item. This item is quite generic but could be useless to you. For example, a Monk/Fighter could get a suit of Full Plate +3. Technically useful, but not if you're concentrating on Monk abilities.
- Nevertheless, it is probably better to start with a completely empty inventory because whatever you carry over from the Original Campaign in terms of armor or other gear (probably customized) is probably overpowered for the start.
- If you are attached to certain items that can't be equipped or not all at once (e.g., various plot rewards of sentimental value), you can download this mod for the override folder which changes some of the scripts in Mask of the Betrayer to save all your inventory and gold (which could be over a million from Crossroad Keep).
- Prefab items will still be given for empty equipment slots -- the mod won't ruin the game for new characters.
- This is really to carry over various items that may have sentimental value (and usefulness), such as Shandra's Amulet. You can, of course, use it to grossly cheat. Moderate yourself so you don't ruin your game experience. (But note that even basic enchanting is hard to do in the early game using their crafting system.)
- If you de-level yourself down to ECL 18, remember to put back any epithets you may have earned since that time -- although they will probably be useless in Mask of the Betrayer.
- If you want to play a completely different race and base class (you can never de-level and redo level 1), you will have to create a new character, use the console to put in epithet feats, and then transfer any gear over that you want. Transferring gear is probably most easily done by running Storm the Zehir.
- Start a Storm of Zehir campaign. Choose or create the new character you want for the Mask of the Betrayer campaign.
- Use the Guest Book to bring in the old character with all their gear.
- Transfer whatever gear you want to transfer, then export your character.
- Start a new Mask of the Betrayer campaign and import the character.